The aim of the HUN-REN Centre for Energy Research (EK) is to carry out basic, applied and developmental scientific research of international standard in the fields of nuclear energy, functional materials and nanosystems, environmental protection, energy efficiency and energy security.
The HUN-REN Centre for Energy Research was established in January 2012 on the basis of two former independent institutions, the Research Institute for Atomic Energy and the Institute of Isotopes. In 2015 Research Institute for Technical Physics and Materials Science became part of the EK.
The HUN-REN Centre for Energy Research is part of the Hungarian Research Network.
Director General: Dr. Ákos Horváth
• basic, applied and development research in accordance with the provisions of the Atomic Energy Act,
• safety analysis of nuclear power plants,
• basic, applied and development research in the field of renewable energy sources,
• environmental protection systems,
• research on functional materials,
• operation of the Budapest Research Reactor.
MTA Centre of Excellence